Search This Blog

Sago Palms are Poisonous to Pets

I'm one of those earthy, outdoorsy, crunchy types who can't function well in a leaf-less environment. Because of this, my modest collection of house plants is very important to me. One of my favorites is a little sago palm-- a plant that looks as innocent as it is beautiful. I would have never guessed that it could actually pose a serious health threat to my beloved pets.

While surfing the ASPCA website, I noticed that sago palms are listed among other plants capable of seriously injuring pets. It seems that it isn't uncommon for cats, dogs, and other pets to nibble bits of sago palm and suffer from serious, or even fatal, health problems as a result. Considering the popularity of sago palms, pet owners need to be wary of this serious hazard.
Sago palm is not in fact a palm, but a member of the family Cycadaceae. Members of this family contain varying quantities of a powerful toxin cycasin, which acts primarily as a liver toxin. Animals who ingest plants that contain cyasin experience near immediate liver damage, which can lead to terminal liver failure in a matter of hours. They also experience bleeding and inflammation in the stomach, which can lead to bloody vomit and diarrhea along with severe pain.
Even with treatment, the poison in sago palm will kill over 50 - 70% of cats and dogs who consume it, making it one of the deadliest poisons for pets commonly found in households. Pets who survive sago consumption are often left with permanently damaged livers, and may require long-term supportive treatment. However, an immediate visit to the vet or animal hospital will maximize his chances of survival.
My reaction to this information wasn't to get rid of my sago palm entirely, but to move it outside to my porch, where my pets can't access it. However, if I had pets who roamed outdoors, I would simply get rid of the sago palm entirely. Keep sago palms, and all other poisonous house plants, as far away as possible from your pets. If you have pets that roam both indoors and outdoors, it's best to eschew sago palms completely. Talk to your veternarian if you have any questions about house plants or other household hazards that may affect your pet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment