Search This Blog

Do Indoor-Only Cats Need Annual Booster Shots?

When I took my cat to the vet for his first visit, they reviewed his medical records from the animal shelter and told me that he would need a rabies booster shot in six months. I was startled by this. I had owned cats at many points in my life-- albeit in other states-- and had never gotten annual booster shots for them. I had been under the impression that indoor cats did not need them, since they are not at risk of exposure to the rabies virus.

The ASPCA acknowledges that some indoor cats may not have a medical need for rabies vaccines, noting that some cat-guardians are concerned about the side effects of the shot. If your cat lives exclusively indoors and never spends any time outside, the organization recommends talking to your cat's veterinarian about whether or not she will need an annual rabies booster. In some cases, an exclusively indoor cat may not need the vaccine.
In my previous state of residence, where annual rabies boosters were not required, my cats' vet never mentioned that they needed an annual vaccine. In retrospect, I should have gotten them vaccinated, since one of them was a habitual door-darter and frequently slipped outside. If your cat manages to get outdoors at all, it's important to make sure his rabies vaccines are up to date. Even one unknown run-in with a rabid animal could end up claiming your cat's life-- and even yours.
Even if your cat doesn't ever manage to venture outside the house, an annual rabies vaccine might still be in order. Many jurisdictions mandate that all cats and dogs receive annual rabies vaccines to protect human health. These restrictions are most common in areas where rabies is a very present threat. My vet explained that, because of our local laws, I was required to get my cat vaccinated every year. If I did not comply and my cat bit someone, he would be quarantined for days and the bite victim would have to undergo a series of painful prophylactic treatments-- even if I were certain that he did not have rabies.
Ultimately, your cat is likely to need an annual rabies booster shot even if he is an exclusively indoor pet. If there is any chance that he could get outside, he needs the vaccine to protect his health and yours. Even in the case when the vaccine is not medically necessary, it may still be a legal requirement in your area. Check with your veterinarian to find out if your cat will need an annual rabies booster shot, and always comply with local, state, and federal regulations regarding your pet's vaccines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment